Monday, June 20, 2011

El Día de los Padres y Más


El Día de los Padres
Sunday was Father's Day, so Saturday at kid's club, we told all the kids to invite their papitos/abuelitos/tios/hermanos to church on Sunday for a special service. Before the service, a little girl names Genesis came up to me and handed me a picture that she drew and a Hello Kitty stuffed animal and said "Para ti." She gave me a kiss on the cheek and ran off. So precious :) The older kids sang a song called Yo quiero ser como and did a little skit along with it. You may have heard the English version called Just Like You by Phillips, Craig, and Dean. The younger kids sang a song called Los zapatotes de mi papá (My Dad's Big Shoes), and dressed up like their dads (picture below). Manolo preached about being a good father and disciplining/teaching your children. After the service, we had arroz con pollo (rice and chicken) at the church with everyone.


Lunes
This morning, we went to Coronado with the Oklahoma group and did yardwork/painted areas of the church that needed painting.
After eating lunch back at the Villa, we went to an orphanage to play with the kids. I met a girl named Pamela and blew bubbles with her for awhile and we chatted about random stuff. Somehow we started doing math problems, and we sat and quizzed each other for a good 20 minutes. I would give her five addition problems in English, and she would answer in Spanish. And then she would do the same for me in Spanish. Then, we took a walk and she showed me the building she lived in, and we talked about her favorite school subjects. She told me her favorite was Science, and then she started telling me all the organs in the body in English! She knew the heart, kidneys, liver, spinal cord... I was impressed. Then, she started naming off diseases in English. Measles, mumps, influenza, dengue.. and when she got to chicken pox, and said, "Como se dice chicken pox en Espanol? Pollo pox?" And she laughed really hard. :) I made a joke in Spanish! My life is complete.



Tonight, we went to go feed the homeless in the Zona Roja (Red Zone) of downtown San Jose. I've done this before, so I knew what to expect, but it amazes me every time how fast 100 bags of food is gone. We were outside of the bus for less than 3 minutes and we had given away all the food we brought. And there were still people reaching for more when we closed the bus doors and drove away. It's rather overwhelming, but it feels good to do something, even if the problems are so much bigger than we can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment