Friday, June 3, 2011

Ten Things I Learned About Costa Rica Today

1. Bugs just love it here. They think they own the country. The showers, the floors, the bunks. You name it, they own it. I’m gonna have to learn how to live peacefully with roaches.


2. There are only two shower temperatures: scalding hot and ice cold. It’s a constant struggle to get it to that perfect in-between temperature for 3 seconds while trying to rinse all the shampoo out of my hair.


3. Costa Ricans love cleaning with bleach. They call it “cloro.” We pretty much bleached everything in sight at a church today.


4. A good way to get killed in Costa Rica is to cross the street.


5. Costa Ricans use “usted” when talking to everyone, including kids. Goes against everything I’ve ever learned in Spanish class.


6. Dama is the best cook ever. And I get to eat her food every day. SCORE! (no pun intended)


7. Costa Rican kids are unbearably cute. I just wanna take one home with me!


8. I met a 20-year-old school principal today. Yeah. She was awesome. And stylish.


9. It rains here every night. Without fail. Two for two so far.


10. Not all homeschoolers are awkward. (shoutout to Hannah!)

2 comments:

  1. 1. Hannah's Dad is a bug man...too bad he's not there! 2. Hannah mentioned the freezing showers more than once :) 3. Cloro is good, since I hear a lot of cleaning is done with cold water. :) 4. I needed to know that THANKS - homeschooling Hannah's brother Micah -Spanish. 6.Hannah thinks so too - I hope to find out some day! 7.I'm sure Hannah would to, that's all she talked about last year! 8.Is she a high school principal? That would be tough, but the boys would like that! 9.Rain forest. 10.Thanks Hannah for "representin" so well, just ask her about her brother, though..... Enlightening 10 things and fun! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Gross. But maybe they make good friends! We humans never give them a real chance :/
    2. Somehow...I can picture that all going down--you really struggling to rinse your hair.
    3. At first I thought you were talking about cleaning clothes with bleach...and I pictured everyone walking around with white clothes.
    4. Please don't cross any streets.
    5. Spanish class is always telling lies, from what I hear. Go ghetto and call yourself cultural. You might get Fs in the classroom, but in real life you score a big A+!
    6. No words.
    7. Please bring one home with you so I can squeeze 'im!
    8. BORROW HER CLOTHES!!
    9. Maybe this is a blessing! You can cool off every night :D
    10. Told you you'd make a friend right from the start!! :) Praise Jesus!

    I miss you. I love you. I'm praying for you. God is already proving that He's taking good care of you. I just love Him for that (among so many other things)!

    AND I'M PUMPED I CAN COMMENT ON THIS!

    ReplyDelete